Castor oil can be used in two different ways. Taken internally, castor oil is a purgative, which will cause diarrhea and empty the bowels. Do not use castor oil internally unless instructed to do so by your Naturopathic Doctor. When used externally on the skin, castor oil is a superb healing agent. Modern research has shown that castor oil produces the following affects:
- Enhances circulation to and from each cell by “liquefying” the material between cells ie. Scar tissue
- Opens up lymphatic channels to increase lymphatic flow
- Increases the mobility and effectiveness of white blood cells, thus increasing the immune response
- Softens adhesions and scarred / fibrotic tissue
- Increases prostaglandin levels, decreasing inflammation
Castor Oil is inexpensive, safe and easy to use on any part of the body. It is particularly helpful for:
- Liver congestion, gallbladder pain
- Muscle and Joint injuries
- Gas and abdominal distention
- Adhesions and scar tissue
- Menstrual pain
- On Breasts to increase lymph drainage
- On Breasts to soften scar tissue
CASTOR OIL PACKS
The following are instructions on how to prepare castor oil packs. Each pack can be used for 4-5 applications before being replaced. Use organic, cold pressed, castor oil, a soft cotton like an old sheet, tea towel or wool flannel. You may wish to put plastic wrap on the outside once the pack is on the body.
- Fold your material to have four layers and cut to your desired size.
- Soak the cloth in Castor Oil. You can spread the oil on the cloth and rub together to spread the oil, or let material soak in a bowl for a few moments.
- Warm the pack by placing on a hot water bottle or hot pack before applying to the body. DO NOT MICROWAVE THE CASTOR OIL PACK.
- Apply the castor oil pack to the area to be treated. Cover with a heating pad on LOW or a hot water bottle, or a grain bag heated in microwave.
- Leave heat on for limited time only (breasts 30 min, abdomen 60 min). You can, however, go to bed with pack in place but take heat away after allotted time.
- Let the oil soak into skin. To clean off any oil residue, wash off soap and water.
ALTERNATE METHODS OF CASTOR OIL PACK APPLICATIONS
For Deep Breast Treatment
Take two or three thickness of cotton flannel large enough to cover the breasts entirely. Soak this in ½ cup of castor oil. Place over your breast, the side of your chest and into the armpit, contouring it around the breast for full contact. Cover this pack with plastic wrap and warm the area with a heating pad on low or a hot water bottle placed on the wrap. Leave on for 30 minutes. Remove and wash with warm water and soap. Repeat on the other side or do one per day.
For Busy People
Have a warm to hot bath or shower before bed. Rub castor oil “boobs to pubes” for breast and abdomen, and cover with old clothing or towels (castor oil will stain clothing and sheets). Climb into bed with oil on skin. In morning wash off oil with soap and water.
For Lymph System
For lymph system drainage apply packs above breast line to pubic line and around each side of the body for 5 nights, then 2 nights off, and then repeat the cycle 5 nights on two nights off for two more weeks.
For Extreme Cases
For extreme cases such as chronic whiplash, lymph congestion, fibromyalgia, apply oil to entire body and immerse in hot bath (no soap). Please ask your health care practitioner if your system is able to do this, as many toxins are released.